ADDRESS BY THE HONOURABLE MINISTER, FEDERAL CAPITAL TERRITORY, MALAM MUHAMMAD MUSA BELLO, AT THE OPENING CEREMONY OF THE 15TH ABUJA INTERNATIONAL TRADE FAIR, AT THE ABUJA TRADE AND COVENTION CENTRE, TRADE FAIR COMPLEX, ABUJA
- It is with great pleasure that I welcome you all to the 15th Abuja International Trade Fair holding here at the Abuja Trade fair complex.
- I most especialy welcome, members of the organised private sector, small business owners, exhibitors and traders who have come from across the country and even beyond, to be part of this important economic event.
- I must commend the efforts of the Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry, (ABUCCI), under the leadership of Prince Adetokunbo Kayode, for its steadfastness and commitment to the development of the trade and business sector of the FCT.
- The Chamber’s innovative and result oriented ideas and activities, have contributed in no small measure in raising the profile of the FCT as a growing commercial and industrial hub in Nigeria.
- The theme for this year’s fair, “Trade and Commerce Beyond Borders” is, indeed, very appropriate for our time and circumstances as government is trying very hard to diversify our economy and wean it from its over dependence on oil.
- The focus of the 15th Edition of the Abuja International Trade Fair is, therefore, in tandem with President Muhammadu Buhari’s agenda of putting Nigeria on the global map as a great trade and exporting nation
- This theme is, indeed, a call to look inwards and harness all the abundant potentials of our great nation in the areas of agriculture, mining and even technology to not only rebuild our economy but also become a major commodity exporter.
- In the FCT, we are determined to make the Territory a major trading and business destination and have embarked on the implementation of projects and programmes designed to achieve this objective.
- Investors will do well to explore opportunities in the agriculture, mining, solid minerals, manufacturing, tourism and hospitality sectors as are also determined to make the FCT a conference tourism hub in Africa.
- The good transportation network in the Territory, its central geographical location, access to a major international airport, and availability of modern utilities such as a world class fiber optic communication network has put the FCT in a unique position to ensure that investors make handsome returns on their investment.
- We are also working hard to provide the enabling environment for investments, trades and entrepreneurship to thrive. It will interest you to know that FCT has been ranked high in the country in the Ease of Doing Business Index.
- To further improve on this, we are working hard, with ABUCCI and other stakeholders to address issues of multiple taxation and other sundry matters and are currently leveraging technology to improve our business processes.
- On the strength of the foregoing, we invite investors to take advantage of the favourable investment climate of Abuja and come and invest here
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2020